Monday, March 24, 2008

A Sad Truth

So I've come to realize a very sad truth about a lot of moms.  It all started when I was talking to some friends about all these people I know who are having babies.  The common though is, "they aren't going to know what hit them."  How silly.  Anyone who has half a brain doesn't know what to expect with their first child and are probably smart enough to figure that out.  In conversations with other friends, it was brought to my attention that people said similar things about me when my daughter was born.

So here's the part that makes me sad - Isn't motherhood hard enough without knowing that other people are already selling you short?  Why aren't we encouraging each other?  Come on, if you really think about it, you probably didn't have a clue when you had your first child - I know I fell into that category.  I think with the grace of God we all get through those first weeks, first moths, and first year.  It is tough, so why make it worse for others?

And while we're on the subject, why do those percentages at the doctor really matter?  Who cares that my daughter's head is consistently in the 95 percentile?  Really?  I am constantly wondering if she is developing as she should - did she crawl when she was supposed to?  Is she eating what is right?  Bottom line - she got teeth early, crawled later, is not so good with table foods, and may walk before her 1st birthday.  Bottom line, she is healthy, happy and we've almost hit that year mark!  We've all been though a huge learning curve, so lets remember that when we talk to new moms!

My new mission is to encourage, offer support, and just listen.  Motherhood is not about comparing or trying to keep up, it is about laughing and living together.  We should make this a fun journey - it is stressful enough on its own.

No comments: