Sunday, May 11, 2008

Contentment

I was thinking of some friends tonight and some things going on in their lives and began to wonder about that word "contentment."  I was always under the impression that being content was better than being happy because happiness can come and go and is just a feeling.  To be content, seemed to be the better option because it lasted and didn't disappear with the tide.  Here's my problem though...if you are content, do you settle?  I feel as though I've been living a fairly content life - there are good times and hard times, but overall I know I am very blessed and thankful for that.  I am starting to feel like I have it all wrong.  Maybe it is contentment itself, but more likely it is my perception or definition of contentment.  I am feeling like I am stuck in a rut and not doing things.  (What those "things" are, I am not sure.)  I have this feeling that there has to be something more.  Don't get me wrong, I love being at home with Reagan and wouldn't trade it for the world.  That isn't what I am talking about.  It is more a search for purpose.  I have always felt that I am going to do something "big."  (What that something is, I have no idea.)  But if I feel like I am in the ho-hum state of contentment, will that something come get me?  I don't know.  What is my "something big?"

Well, I think that's enough rambling for tonight...I'll keep you posted on my "something big" but for now, here's to all those that are in the boat right next to me, searching high and low for purpose, rest, or true contentment.  May we cling to our life jackets during the storms and toast to the beautiful sunsets.  May we ride alongside one another as the journey continues...I am sure it will be life long.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear you on the something "BIG"! The laundry everyday isn't BIG, nor are the dishes, the toilets I clean and scour, or the trips to the grocery for the food to make the mediocre dinners I prepare! Laundry and washing melted cheese off of my family's dinner plate doesn't further His kingdom do they?!?! So only to encourage you (and myself) - in church today I was reminded that the something BIG may be/or seem like something little to me - which God uses for something BIG! My act/action doesn't have to be something BIG in and of itself - he makes it BIG. And when we look up - we will ALWAYS find Him. I know it all looks fantastically simple in type here as a comment - and in real life it is much much more frustrating, difficult, and confusing than that....but stay the course! :-) I love, love, love Reagan's not sox and her pics! Look @ her showing off her little legs!

Corie said...

Those little not sox are so cute! What a great idea. I'm going to have to get some for Tessa.

I hear you as well... I LOVE staying home with my girls but sometimes I feel like I'm not being all that I "should" be in the world. I wonder if we ever will figure it all out!